by Don Colbert, M.D. | Detoxify can provide a boost toward increased wellness and improved body function. (image – bodyunburdened.com)
Do you suffer from symptoms of fatigue, irregular bowel movements, skin challenges and unclear thinking? Have you been feeling guilty about eating the wrong foods for a period of time?
Here are 10 powerful foods that will naturally help the body to detoxify which can provide a boost toward increased wellness and improved body function:
1. Plenty of water. Most of us know water is good for us, but do we really get enough of it on a regular basis? Water is also the most important ingredient when planning a natural detox program. When detoxifying, the rule of thumb is to drink around a gallon of water per day. This quantity can be adjusted depending on your body weight as well as how much you normally consume through a normal day. The goal is to drink enough to help the body to flush out toxins.
2. Juice from lemons. Juice from lemons is another food item which will help to boost the detox process. Drinking the juice will help to increase "digestive juices" in the body and benefit the liver, colon, and gallbladder. By adding lemon juice to your detox program, the body will naturally flush toxins from the colon. Add some juice from real lemons to water for an enjoyable refreshment.
3. Oats and oatmeal. Oats and oatmeal offer the body soluble as well as insoluble fiber (along with vitamins, minerals, amino acids and anti-oxidants). The ingredient is also a natural diuretic for the body which helps "to detox" via kidneys as well as the colon. Oats can also be added to healthy smoothie and yogurt recipes.
4. Protein-packed lentils. Eating lentils are wonderful to remove pollutants naturally from the body. They are an awesome source of protein, and they provide satiety with no added fat. Lentils are very inexpensive and can be added to soups as well as stews.
5. Brussels sprouts. Cruciferous vegetables help the body to remove toxins naturally. Consuming Brussels sprouts (along with other cruciferous veggies) will help keep the colon working properly, and the foods contain a good amount of fiber. Cruciferous veggies are great for the skin, liver and the kidneys. This class of vegetables can be steamed, boiled, roasted and grated (raw) before eating.
6. Powerhouse artichokes. Artichokes are another food item to add to your detox program. They are considered a "powerhouse" for those interested in removing toxic waste from the body. Healthy individuals who consume artichokes will be blessed with improved liver function that enhances the ability to absorb nutrients. This vegetable can be steamed, baked and grilled.
7. Antioxidant green tea. Green tea is packed full of antioxidants which help the body to fight damage caused by free radicals. Many reports suggest three cups a day on a regular basis to gain the fullest health benefits. Green tea can also be combined with lemon juice to increase the detox effect on the body.
8. Seaweed and kelp. Eating seaweed provides some wonderful health benefits including natural cleansing properties. Kelp is another option which also aids the body during regular detox. Seaweed can be added to your menu options as well as taken in a healthy natural supplement.
9. Dandelion greens. Dandelion greens are wonderful for improving liver function. They also help the body to remove toxins. These greens can be cooked at home in the same way as collard greens, or consider purchasing them as a health food supplement.
10. Turmeric spice. Turmeric is excellent for aiding the natural detox process. The spice can be added to a variety of foods, including teas. This simple spice gives a boost to the liver. Some health physicians encourage detoxification simply by drinking more water and adding more of this spice to the diet on a regular basis.
Dr. Colbert recommends his 21-Day Detox to flush out toxins and replenish it with vital nutrients. For more information on the 21-Day Detox, please click here.
Don Colbert, M.D., has been board-certified in Family Practice for over 25 years and practices Anti-Aging and Integrative medicine. He is a New York Times best-selling author of books such as The Bible Cure Series, What Would Jesus Eat, Deadly Emotions, What You Don't Know May Be Killing You, and many more with over 10 million books sold. He is the Medical Director of the Divine Health Wellness Center in Orlando, Florida, where he has treated over 50,000 patients.
For the original article, visit drcolbert.com.