It’s time to recall the events leading up to Jesus’ death by crucifixion and His Resurrection. Although everything is shut down around the world, the passion for the faithful to observe the most powerful thing that ever happened in the world is much more prevalent. Holy week includes the following five days of special significance.
- Palm Sunday, which commemorates Jesus’ humble entry into Jerusalem on a donkey to observe the Passover. The children ran out with joy and singing “Blessed is the Lord”.
- Holy and great Wednesday commemorates the bargain of Judas and the parable of the Two Debtors.
- Maundy Thursday or Holy Thursday marks Jesus’ institution at the Last Supper of the Eucharist.
- Good Friday commemorates Jesus’ suffering and death on the cross. A day of sorrow, penance, and fasting for all the faithful.
- Holy Saturday, also called Easter Vigil, which is the traditional end of Lent. It is the last day of the Holy Week, commemorating the day that Jesus’ body lay in the tomb.
Easter Sunday, a joyful celebration of Jesus’ Resurrection. It’s so sad that mortifications have been imposed by circumstances beyond human control. This bring back the memory of the holy apostles who thought themselves bereft of the One they had hoped might be the Messiah. On the Mount of Olives, three of them (Peter, John and James, whom he asked to stay awake and pray) slept a depressed slumber haunted by anxious confusion according to Acts 1:9–12.
The apostles are asking Jesus of things to come since they know that Jesus will put an end to all sorrow on earth. They want to know when it will all happen. When will Jesus come again to rule as King? Jesus tells his apostles some of the things that will be happening on earth when he is ruling as King in heaven.
- Great wars,
- Many people will be sick and hungry,
- Crime will be very bad,
- Big earthquakes,
- Good news about God’s kingdom will be preached everywhere on earth.
As we await the coming of the son of God, I pray we continue to be watchful, vigilant, and wide-awake.
ECWA Editorial Board: Our editorial board or advisory board consists of a group of well published, prominent professors, with academic credentials and a detailed knowledge of their subject area.