How to live the Christian life is a topic that is discussed in many Bible passages. One of the most notable discourses was between Jesus and Nicodemus. Nicodemus, a member of the Jewish council, went to Jesus during the night to discover how to live the Christian life. Jesus explains to Nicodemus that he must be born again: “…I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again” (John 3:3). Salvation is the beginning step in living a Christian life. In John 14:6, Jesus said, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
Jesus encourages all believers to grow in relationship, commitment, and obedience to Him. This is the essence of how to live a Christian life. Our relationship, commitment, and obedience are done out of love, not constraint. John 14:21 says, “Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.”
Living the Christian life is not abiding by an agenda or following a set of strict rules. Instead, the Christian life is characterized by:
- Understanding that you are a new creation! 2 Corinthians 5:17 declares: “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!”
- Transforming and renewing your mind. Romans 12:2 says, “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – his good, pleasing and perfect will.”
- Treating others with love. Philippians 2:3-4 says, “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.”
- Living out the teachings of Christ. Jesus taught: “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 5:3-10).
- Sharing your faith. Matthew 5:14-16 says, “You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.”
Living the Christian life does not mean enjoying a life of ease and never experiencing problems. 1 Peter 5:8 says that there is an enemy who wishes to destroy us: “Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.” But we also read that Jesus has overcome the world!
No matter what opposition you face, living the Christian life is worth it! Enjoying a relationship with God and His Son Jesus, being confident of where you will spend eternity, and living in day-to-day fellowship with Him is far greater than any opposition you may face.
All About Following Jesus,
We live in an awesome era! We’ve peered to the edge of the massive cosmos.
We’ve delved into the intricate world of the microscopic cell.
We’ve discovered archaeological treasures that establish the veracity of biblical events.
We’ve deciphered the digital code of the human genome.
We’ve established the reliability of ancient biblical manuscripts.
We’ve developed principles of quantum physics that allow for an extra-dimensional Creator.
We’ve witnessed the actual fulfillment of biblical prophecy in Israel.
We’ve watched the rapid deployment of space-age communication technologies that can provide access and exposure to all of these realities.
Yes, we live in an awesome era!
We’ve witnessed phenomenal events and collected compelling evidence that all point to something outside ourselves. We’ve seen evidence of God like no other period in the last 2,000 years. What a time to wake up, pursue life, seek truth, and share our journeys with others!
This information is offered by AllAboutGOD.com, which is structured as a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation. If you would like to support our efforts, you can make a tax-deductible contribution here. Thanks!