by Rev. Sunday Bwanhot | Only God is the omnipresent Spirit who can hear and answer prayer, but Jesus said in John 14:13, “If you shall ask anything in my name I will do it.”
The question, if Jesus is really God has caused different reactions ranging from excitement, confusion, anger and outright rejection by Christians and non-Christians alike. The existence of Jesus Christ is a no contest. He lived here on earth; His genealogy is known. Where and when He was born and the life He lived have all been documented by historians. The claim that He is God is the bone of contention. Here are four reasons to aid our understanding in believing that Jesus is God.
- Testimonies that Jesus is God.
- The Prophets: Isaiah & John the Baptist: Isa 9:6; 7:14; Jh. 1:1-3
- God the Father: Heb. 1:8 & Ps. 45:6.
- Jesus Himself: Jh. 8:58, 10:30.
- Jesus’ Disciples Jh. 20:28.
- Jesus has all the attributes of God – A few will suffice:
- Self-existing Jh. 5:26;
- Eternal Is. 9:6; and Is 46:9
- Holy Jh. 8:46;
- Omnipotent Phi 3:21;
- Omniscient Jh. 16:30;
- Omnipresent Matt. 18:20; Judge. 2 Tim 4:1.
- Jesus did things only God can do.
- Created the world. Jh. 1:3; Col.1:16.
- Raised the dead and Himself too. Lk 7:14, 24:7
- Forgave sins. Lk 5:20;
- Promises eternal life. John 3:16; Lk 23:43
- Jesus Accepts worship – due only to God.
- Disciples worshiped Him Matt. 28: 9;
- Every knee will bow in worship Ph. 2:9-11
- Saints, Angels, 24 Elders, 4 Living Creatures worship Jesus. Rev. 5
Every religion admits that Jesus was a prophet, righteous and sinless but reject His deity. He did not leave us that option. We either voluntarily worship Him now or involuntarily do so when it is too late.
Rev. Sunday Bwanhot is EMS/SIM Missionary. He serves as Team leader of SIM Culture Connexions; Pastors of ECWA Chicago.